[lokisetup] Features for Setup 2.0

John Quigley jmquigs at bigfoot.com
Sat Nov 23 11:26:56 EST 2002

I've only worked with loki_* for a few days, but I have some ideas:

- portability: it would be nice if it was portable to mac/win32.  Over at
www.garagegames.com, there is a fair amount of interest in a cross
platform installer/update program.  Right now people are using different
systems for different platforms, which complicates things.

- scripting: it would be nice if most of the setup was implemented in a
portable scripting language like lua/python, which then drives a c-backend
that does low level functions.  So operations like installing the right
menuitems would be entirely in script, but copying files would be
implemented in c.  I just really dislike bash ;)

- integration of xsu: this is a minor issue, but it would be cool if setup
let you pick an installation type (all users or just for me) at startup,
and asked you for root's password if necessary depending on the type.  update
would probably need to be modified.

Regarding on demand-installs, it would have to be secure.  I thought about
doing this with loki_update for an upcoming game, where you download the
initial installer manually then update actually grabs the full game.  But
then I realized that the full game would be out in the open and
accessible to all (this is a for-sale game).   So I'd have to implement
some kind of security model.  I scrapped that idea. :)

For the update problem generally, I had the vague idea to integrate
subversion as the backend for the update system.
Apparently it does efficient binary deltas, so updating your local game
installation would just be a matter of bring it in sync with the
repository with a subversion command.  GUI installers could make this
procedure "painless" for the end user.  Just an idea though, would
need to prototype it.  :)