[lokisetup] Features for Setup 2.0

Timothee Besset ttimo at idsoftware.com
Sat Nov 23 06:17:09 EST 2002

I love designing new apps. You can have plenty of cool ideas and then
decide to drop them because it will be too complicated. So here are my
thoughts:

- Multiple UIs .. anyone using the SuSE distribution? The yast
configuration tool has text and qt uis .. pretty much what setup 1.x is
doing. Very good stuff.

- Is the XML description generic enough to describe the installations? Do
we need some flow control? (if-then-else?)

- Usage of shell scripts: in 1.x we often drop in shell scripts to perform
some operations. Are those reliable and portable enough? Would LUA be any
help?

- Support 'on-demand' download? i.e. download a small stub package, find
mirrors to get further elements? I think that's what loki_update does,
setup and update should be more interdependent?

- Local caching of the setup UI code? The size of UI-related binaries is
pretty big in setup packages. Could we have the UI stored in a local cache
(~/.lokisetup/ui/<API-version-GUID>/)? This would be working with
'on-demand' setups. You launch a query program to some XMLized URL, it
checks if you have the correct UI stuff already and starts downloading?

TTimo