[lokisetup] gcc 3.2

Stephane Peter megastep at megastep.org
Mon Dec 9 19:11:15 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 16:07, Chunky Kibbles wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 04:04:51PM -0800, Stephane Peter wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 16:00, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> > > Hey guys.  I'm new to the list and wanted to get some key insights from
> > > people who are 'in the know' with all the cool features that have been
> > > added to setup lately.
> > >
> > > 1) Is there a way to detect a gcc 3.2 system now?  And a place for binaries?
> >
> > Not directly. You may be able to detect it through scripts, but I can
> > hardly see how this would be helpful. Binaries should not depend on a
> > particular version of gcc...
>
> As in, the binaries that you're distributing as part of your program
> that's being installed.

The same practice should be used for all binaries, that is both Setup
binaries and the programs you distribute using Setup. In some cases, you
may also want to have a separate "dynamic" distribution of the same
binaries with all LGPL'ed libraries as dynamic dependencies, to comply
with the license.

> Currently, for eg, I've heard of problems with my UnrealI stuff from
> people who're on GCC 3 Systems; they essentially require a different
> binary...

I hope you don't mean that past static binaries are broken now ;)

--
Stephane Peter <megastep at megastep.org>