[lokisetup] gcc 3.2

Stephane Peter megastep at megastep.org
Mon Dec 9 19:04:51 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 16:00, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> Hey guys.  I'm new to the list and wanted to get some key insights from
> people who are 'in the know' with all the cool features that have been
> added to setup lately.
>
> 1) Is there a way to detect a gcc 3.2 system now?  And a place for binaries?

Not directly. You may be able to detect it through scripts, but I can
hardly see how this would be helpful. Binaries should not depend on a
particular version of gcc...

> 2) Do most of you guys try to compile everything statically?  We've done
> this the best we could, in the past, but it seems that kde and gnome
> apps just won't let you do it anymore.

What I usually do (and what Loki used to do), is build any non-standard
libraries statically into the program. It may still have some dynamic
dependencies (like on glibc, or even gtk), but these have to be reduced
to a minimum.

> 3) Is there a 'common' build environment that works on most systems that
> I should use to build my binaries?  I'm currently running RH8 (gcc3.2
> system) and don't think it's probably a very common denominator.

My build environment is based on Redhat 6.2 (Glibc 2.1), and gcc 2.95.x,
even for C++. In my experience, the binaries produced tend to work in
any moderately recent system. Using gcc 3.2 may add some speed, but
dependencies can become very tricky...

--
Stephane Peter
Sr. Software Engineer