[lokisetup] gcc 3.2

Stephane Peter megastep at megastep.org
Mon Dec 9 19:04:51 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 16:00, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> Hey guys.  I'm new to the list and wanted to get some key insights from
> people who are 'in the know' with all the cool features that have been
> added to setup lately.
> 1) Is there a way to detect a gcc 3.2 system now?  And a place for binaries?

Not directly. You may be able to detect it through scripts, but I can
hardly see how this would be helpful. Binaries should not depend on a
particular version of gcc...

> 2) Do most of you guys try to compile everything statically?  We've done
> this the best we could, in the past, but it seems that kde and gnome
> apps just won't let you do it anymore.

What I usually do (and what Loki used to do), is build any non-standard
libraries statically into the program. It may still have some dynamic
dependencies (like on glibc, or even gtk), but these have to be reduced
to a minimum.

> 3) Is there a 'common' build environment that works on most systems that
> I should use to build my binaries?  I'm currently running RH8 (gcc3.2
> system) and don't think it's probably a very common denominator.

My build environment is based on Redhat 6.2 (Glibc 2.1), and gcc 2.95.x,
even for C++. In my experience, the binaries produced tend to work in
any moderately recent system. Using gcc 3.2 may add some speed, but
dependencies can become very tricky...

Stephane Peter
Sr. Software Engineer
Codehost, Inc.