lgfaq/UT (fwd)

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Fri Jan 24 05:22:09 EST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:47:39 +0000
From: Rob <linux at hyborian.demon.co.uk>
To: "webmaster at icculus.org" <webmaster at icculus.org>
Subject: lgfaq/UT

Hi

On your lgfaq page, I noticed under the question "Why doesn't Unreal Tournament seem to be installing properly with the installer provided by Loki?" that you say "The 'Best of Infogrames' and 'Totally Unreal' versions of the game aren't supported at all."

This may be the official line, but I have been able to install and run the UT 'Best of Infogrames' version using Loki's GOTY version 436 installer and the following script:

# ===script begins===

#!/bin/bash

INSTALLDIR=/usr/local/games/ut

cd $INSTALLDIR/System

for i in ls ../Maps/*.unr.uz
do
        ./ucc-bin decompress ../Maps/$i -nohomedir
done

rm ../Maps/*unr.uz
mv *.unr ../Maps

echo "Done !!"

# ===script ends===

I found the script on the Internet somewhere, a newsgroup I think, and as you can see the GOTY installer simply neglects to decompress the maps, so this script does it.  If you wish to post this to relieve any frustrated Linux "original" UT (potential) gamers, please feel free to do so.  It does take a while to run since there are alot of maps included in the Infogrames version of UT.

Sincerely,

Rob

P.S.  I haven't played UT much, and I didn't bother to get UT2003.  Quake man, really.  I am interested in your MOH:AA client port though ... ;-)