glibc 2.3 - loki updates segfaulting? (fwd)

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Tue Apr 8 17:49:02 EDT 2003

Is this in the FAQ yet?

--ryan.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 15:40:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: "adam at damek.org" <adam at damek.org>
To: "icculus at clutteredmind.org" <icculus at clutteredmind.org>
Subject: glibc 2.3 - loki updates segfaulting?

Hi - I don't really know if you are the right person to contact, or if you will even care :) ... if not,
sorry to bother you.

The reason for this email is that I'm having problems updating some old Loki stuff.  Every time
I set up a new linux box, one of the first things I do is set up the few old Loki games I have.
At the moment I've set up a new Red Hat 9 box and a new Mandrake 9.1 box.  On both of
them, I've installed the Alpha Centauri planetary pack.  The game plays fine, but when I try to
run the smac update program to update the game to 6.0a, it segfaults:

-----
Uncompressing Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri 6.0a Update...................
./update.sh: line 60:  8564 Segmentation fault      loki_patch --verify patch.dat
The program returned an error code (1)
-----

I also can't update loki_update - the most recent (1.0.13, i think) .run file I can find on google
also segfaults.  From searching with google, the best I can tell is that these programs are
crashing because glibc is now at 2.3.x ... does that sound right?  If so, is there any possibility
of getting updated updaters?

I can just play the games without them - it's no big deal.  I'm mostly just wondering what you
may know about the problem.

Keep up the good work!

-Adam Piontek