[lgfaq] Double Quake3Arena in the single intel box

Chunky Kibbles chunky at icculus.org
Wed Oct 16 13:07:03 EDT 2002

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 10:44:33AM +0300, Aivils Stoss wrote:
> Current trend:
> Veteran: I hit this stuff and nonsense.
> Kids, Gamers: Yes, Yes, Yes.
>
> You can try tell Your Information Technology chief:
> Now we have 2000 workstations, tomorrow 1000. Incredible.

Neat idea. But then, you've essentially been able to do this for many
many moons, in other ways [that are much cheaper in the long run]

Of course, we're missing the fundamental point which is that you do
this "Because I Can (TM)" (=

> Mailing lists is for gibbering and communication.

That's true (=

> >1) "Multiheading games", hnuh? Most of them out there will run on
> >multihead, with something like xinerama
>
> Terminology troubles.
> I mean flexible configuration like:
> wolfmp +set snddevice /dev/dsp2
> or
> wolfmp +set gl_driver /usr/lib/my_strange_GL.so

Fair enough.

> >2) One program can have the sound device at a time. If UT gets it
> >first, then you go without sound in Wolf, and vice versa. Before
> >anyone corrects me, I'm aware of the Live Drivers and I'm aware of
> >ALSA. I'm also aware that one isn't commonplace and one doesn't work
> >*cough*
>
> One voluntary (not me) compile ALSA and my pacth straight into
> kernel and report "All fine".

Yeah. I gave ALSA a week on my machine. It caused nothing but problems
[it's only in the most recent release of SDL that I could use it
correctly], most games never got sound at all, etc, etc.

> >3) I could make utk3 run at the same time as something else. I just
> >wouldn't be able to make it do it very quickly.
>
> I recompile OpenAL. In the openal source I change sound device.
> Now for freespace2 I set different
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/openal-dsp
> or
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/openal-dsp2
>
> This will not work for UT. Seems UT check MD5 for their openal.so

Ugh. Complicated. You can usually just tell games which sound device
to use [my es1371 has two usable dsps]. Also, I would have thought
that openal would let you choose the sound device via some kind of
config file or env. variable?

Gary (-;