[lgfaq] Double Quake3Arena in the single intel box

Aivils Stoss Aivils.Stoss at unibanka.lv
Tue Oct 15 03:52:03 EDT 2002

Chunky Kibbles wrote:

>> Hi, folks
>>
>> Aprox half year I use kernel patch , which allow run multiple locale X
>> servers with
>> independ keyboards and mouses. Site:
>> http://starx.times.lv
>
>Well, after a bit of munging, I'm assuming you're talking about
>http://startx.times.lv
>
>> My box:
>> CPU Athlon 1600+
>> RAM 256Mb
>> 1st videocard Nvidia GeforceMX440 (AGP)
>> 2nd Nvidia TNT2 M64 (PCI)
>> 3rd Nvidia TNT2 M64 (PCI)
>> two ps/2 keyboards, one USB keyboard
>> two serial mouses, one USB mouse
>> swap 800Mb (important, same games failed if can't allocate enough
memory).

>I will GREATLY serve you to upgrade your RAM. I have 1.5G and I only
>use one screen at the moment :)

May be. Triple X simultaneus eat ~120Mb of RAM.
IMHO big RAM is hw sellers trick.

>Uh. Why do I need to patch my kernel to do this? If I wanted, I can
>just run multiple X servers without any problems at all, having
>completely independant k/v/m, using just standard XFree functionality.

I test various patch of Linux systems for multiheading. All failed for me.
Please point to well documented site. Kernel patching is so messy.

>I hate to {insert metaphor here}, but why do I want to even /look/ at
>something that's alpha unstable when I can already do this stuff?

Seems we never going to beta. 3 testers is to few.
Last month I never see kernel oops.
May be now others can test this.
I will not dragoon any.

IMHO gamers dream is home net gaming. My to.
Right now I have enough many for 5-10 box. Why I should buy?
But I remeber poorly period.

>You're also probably having sound issues. UT tends to just block
>on the sound dvice as opposed to anything else. Same therefore goes
>for Rune. And running a sound multiplexer is asking for trouble when
>you have multiple "real-time" sound things going on...

Yes. Only Idsoftware made multiheading compatible games.
All another must multiplex or switch of sound.

And UT2003 certainly will not run simultaneous.

:)))
Aivils