[lgfaq] xmlphpvisualbasicfaq

Chunky Kibbles chunky at icculus.org
Tue May 7 05:37:43 EDT 2002

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 05:26:44AM -0400, zakk wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 05:00, Chunky Kibbles wrote:
> > The word "descent" is multi-lingual when it's the name of the game.
> >
> A very good point
> > For such functionality, perhaps we need policies like "leave out
> > the number of the game, eg, Descent instead of Descent3, and then rip
> > out the numbers when doing a query"
> >
> This isn't good however, you should always have a space after a name,
> and before the iteration. Descent 3, Quake 3, Libelman 12, et cetera.
> Besides, the _translator_ needs to decide what gets translated and what
> doesn't.

Hmmm. Assumption, there: why do you have a "translator"? Why try to
make the php intelligent? Surely a dumb "does the author say this is
english? then show it to the english guy" would be easier? Or is that
what you mean?

And as far as it goes, if you just heave out the numbers altogether
for internal searching, then it removes a whole world of hurt...
Although I'm not sure if that's entirely wholesome for when someone
explicitly asks for quake3... blaggle. My brain hurts.

Gary (-;