[lgfaq] xmlphpvisualbasicfaq

Chunky Kibbles chunky at icculus.org
Tue May 7 05:00:27 EDT 2002

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 03:43:43AM -0400, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

> > Treke went ahead and one uppped me,
> > http://www.icculus.org/lgfaq/test/xml/faq.php
>
> Hmm...that doesn't suck.

Indeed.
Notes:

1) Needs fields for "things to which this applies". Example:

 <faq>
  <question lang="en">
    Is Chunky annoyed at outrage?
  </question>
  <answer lang="en">
    Blaggle
  </answer>
  <topics lang="all">
    Descent,Joystick
  </topics>
 </faq>

The php then needs a search. Don't know how you're parsing it, haven't
looked at your code. Can't even remember what model PHP used...

The word "descent" is multi-lingual when it's the name of the game.

For such functionality, perhaps we need policies like "leave out
the number of the game, eg, Descent instead of Descent3, and then rip
out the numbers when doing a query"

2) Character sets. I've had really bad experiences with XML being
blown out of the water in the past [most notably, IE has a bit of a
screaming hissy fit sometimes]. My terminal doesn't do foreign
characters in the XML there, so I've no idea what's going on for half
of the screen anyways...

Just a couple of ideas.

Gary (-;