[jugglemaster] Juggling Videos

Paul Norton luap at icculus.org
Wed Aug 25 05:27:59 EDT 2004

off on a tangent! CYM/CYMK is a printing thing, being more appropriate as
dyes absorb light, whereas monitors create it (i.e. CYM mixes absorptions
to create a colour, and RGB mixes light)

YCrCb is an alternative way of representing RGB, and seems fairly common
in the video area. Y is the luminance, Cr is the red-chrominance, and Cb
is the blue chrominance. The technique takes advantage of the fact that
the human eye is more sensitive to luminance than chrominance, so you can
bin some of the chrominance information without much perceived loss of
quality.

This is usually demonstrated by reducing the number of bits of the
chrominance channels.

video takes advantage of it by storing less samples of Cr and Cb than Y.
http://www.thedirks.org/v4l2/v4l2fmt.htm
has a better description than I could give of what's going on with the
video stuff.

Surely there must be existing GPL code for converting an RGB frame to
YUV/YCrCb ?! (or vice-versa)

luaP