[Gtkradiant] First time running 1.6, takes over a minute/fails to start up.

Nerius Landys nlandys at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 16:39:23 CST 2011

> I've been getting numerous reports (and have experienced it myself
> first hand) of ZeroRadiant hanging or taking over a minute to start up
> for the first time. Users are faced with the command-line window for a
> period of time before the rest of the interface loads up. The problem
> does not repeat itself with subsequent start-ups, it pauses for the
> first time only.
>
> Users are reporting the issue on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows
> 7 on both 32 and 64-bit systems.
>
> I am unsure about the cause for this issue, if it's a bug or if
> ZeroRadiant is just setting up for the first time. If the latter, some
> kind of loading message would be beneficial so the user doesn't think
> the program has hanged.

Latest build as of this morning also has this "long pause" problem, as
reported by someone I know.

I have already gone off on Windows "tangents" too much.  That is, I've
invested lots of time into fixing Windows-specific problems with
Radiant.  I'm no Windows expert and I'd rather not become one.  [In
fact one of my long term goals is to hack some kernel or driver code
in something like Linux or FreeBSD.]  I usually feel dirty inside
after spending lots of time mucking with Windows issues.  I would
rather focus my time and positive energy on fixing bugs that are
actually in Radiant rather than understanding how the black box
creation of Bill Gates works.  (I will give ol' Bill credit that he
donates a lot of his money to charity - so how about making a donation
to the Free Software Foundation, or maybe the FreeBSD Foundation,
Bill?)

My point is that I'm strongly opposed to spending much more of my
personal time addressing Windows-specific issues.  The main reason I
have a Windows machine in the first place is to test Radiant on it.  I
do all of my work in Linux.  Are there any other Radiant devs willing
to step up to the plate?  Maybe someone who knows how Windoes works?
I seem to be the only guy doing any sort of maintenance on Radiant at
this point, which is a tad disappointing.  Radiant is a great tool and
is actually quite fun to improve.

- Rambetter