[Gtkradiant] Compiled ZeroRadiant on Windows w00t!

Timothee BESSET ttimo at ttimo.net
Tue Nov 30 09:06:12 CST 2010

I pushed a number of fixes over the weekend and produced a new set of
binaries with the Q3 and UrT game paks. I wanted to update the
documentation a little but didn't get around to that yet.
The build is at
http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/files/radiant/developer/1.6.1/GtkR-1.6.2-11282010.zip

To get the binary dependencies and the game paks in order on windows,
you basically need to execute the setup target out of scons. This
requires a few utilities from cygwin, such as wget and unzip. It also
requires subversion (I use a non cygwin subversion CLI from collabnet,
the subversion package in cygwin had some issues).

The command looks something like:
/cygdrive/c/Python2.7/Scripts/scons.bat target=setup, executed from
the GtkRadiant directory.

Anyway. I have an EC2 virtual machine that is fully setup to produce
Windows binaries. I feel it's more productive having that and being
able to hand it over to new contributors than spending a lot of time
in back and forth over a mailing list or multiple source forks. There
are several things that can potentially come out of this:

- The experimental binary needs to get tested by actual mappers. Last
time I did such a build no one really used it or reported problems
with it. We should probably re-assess how we make those builds
available and gather feedback and bug report about them.

- I may look at adding support for QuakeLive out of the box. May need
to talk with the QL guys if it's a good idea to do that at all, but I
figure it'd be better than relying on Quake3 for testing and feedback.

- The EC2 vm can be used as a learning tool for programmers who want
to setup their own compilation environment. We can also hook it up as
a build slave, so folks who want to focus their dev work on Linux
don't have to worry about it too much.

TTimo