[Gtkradiant] Progress on broken Windows GtkRadiant build

Rudolf Polzer divVerent at alientrap.org
Mon Dec 13 01:48:03 CST 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 09:35:53AM -0600, Timothee Besset wrote:
> Yep that's completely right. Missing different versions of the runtime DLL can
> lead to problems with memory allocation and freeing across DLL boundaries and
> other subtle stability issues.
>
> It does sound like Rambetter was able to get rid of the recently added binary
> dependencies though. If that's the case we should be on a complete VC6 / Visual
> Studio 2005 solution from the gtk binary dependencies side. I don't know if
> there is an Express edition (e.g. free) for 2005 though .. so we may still want
> to look at compiling the latest gtk for ourselves on 2008 (or even 2010).
>
> Another direction could be to move the whole infrastructure to the mingw
> compiler, but I worry about build times, on the EC2 box anything using mingw
> was horribly slow.

I got NetRadiant to work with the pango-ft2 font rendering code you have in
ZeroRadiant svn, and using the DLLs from the Gtk Win32 website (but I had to
take the older version of Gtk+, as gtkglext does not compile against the newer
one and when manually and naively fixing the compile errors of gtkglext, I get
nasty OpenGL context mess (e.g. texture browser drawn in the 3D view).

BTW, I am using mingw32, and usually cross compile although natively compiling
on MSYS works just fine too (although indeed a lot slower than using the cross
gcc toolchain on Linux).

For reference, you can get the precompiled mingw32 build environment package
(to be extracted into a freshly installed mingw with C, C++, MSYS Base system)
at http://www.icculus.org/netradiant/files/, and NetRadiant MSYS compile
instructions at
http://git.icculus.org/?p=divverent/netradiant.git;a=blob;f=COMPILING

A cross build working with the mingw32 packages on Debian stable can be done
using the cross-Makefile.conf file, instead of the mingw-Makefile.conf as
described in COMPILING (which only really differs by the means to call
pkg-config, git, svn, wget, unzip).

Best regards,

Rudolf Polzer