[Gtkradiant] Progress on broken Windows GtkRadiant build

Timothee Besset ttimo at ttimo.net
Sat Dec 11 09:35:53 CST 2010

On 12/11/2010 04:37 AM, Willi wrote:
> On 10.12.2010 19:41:48, Nerius Landys <nlandys at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Right after clicking "OK", I come to an error like this one:
>> http://daffy.nerius.com/temp/missing-dll.png
>> Complaining about missing MSVCR90.DLL.
>
> I believe this may be the problem, assuming we're using the "official"
> GTK Windows binaries:
>
> From http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html
>
>     It is possible to use these packages also with Microsoft's
>     compiler. However, the DLLs here use the msvcrt.dll run-time
>     library. This means that also applications that use the DLLs
>     should preferrably use the msvcrt.dll run-time. Specifically, this
>     means that you should not use newer versions of the Microsoft
>     compiler than Visual C++ 6 without knowing exactly what you are doing.
>
> Which makes me believe that we should build our own binaries if we
> want to use Visual Studio > 6.0 (e.g. 2008). MSVCR90.dll may not be
> msvcrt.dll but still I sense a connection, or at least a potential
> other problem.
>
> Willi "Mr. Wonko" Schinmeyer

Yep that's completely right. Missing different versions of the runtime
DLL can lead to problems with memory allocation and freeing across DLL
boundaries and other subtle stability issues.

It does sound like Rambetter was able to get rid of the recently added
binary dependencies though. If that's the case we should be on a
complete VC6 / Visual Studio 2005 solution from the gtk binary
dependencies side. I don't know if there is an Express edition (e.g.
free) for 2005 though .. so we may still want to look at compiling the
latest gtk for ourselves on 2008 (or even 2010).

Another direction could be to move the whole infrastructure to the mingw
compiler, but I worry about build times, on the EC2 box anything using
mingw was horribly slow.