[Gtkradiant] Gtkradiant broken after system and drivers upgrade

Forest `LordHavoc` Hale lordhavoc at ghdigital.com
Mon Oct 29 10:32:21 CDT 2007

I have to concur, the DRI drivers haven't had a very good track record.

I can tell you exactly what that driver error means however:
older Radeon cards have only the ability to address up to 4096 vertices at a time (an arbitrary number of triangles, but only that many vertices - probably some kind of on-chip vertex transform cache
is responsible for this limit), GTKRadiant is issuing more than this many vertices in one call.

The hardware however has configurable base address for vertex arrays, and configurable index bias, this allows it to issue the large draw operation as several smaller ones that do not violate the
limits of the hardware.

That error indicates the code for splitting the operations into smaller ones, is broken.

(All other drivers have to deal with this sort of hardware limitation transparently as well, it's not an application error)