[Gtkradiant] q3map2 -convert -format map - working on texture alignment

Rudolf Polzer divVerent at alientrap.org
Sat Dec 29 10:07:42 CST 2007

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 09:53:01AM -0500, Jay Dolan wrote:
> Rudolf Polzer wrote:
> > I finally could get q3map2 -convert -format map to correctly export
> > texture alignment... using hacky methods, but it actually works.
>
> Is this for converting a Q3 .map file to e.g. a Quake2 .map file?

No, it converts a Q3 .bsp file into a Q3 .map file, by restoring as much
as information of the .map file as possible.

Known issues with this "decompiling":
- embedded models get lost (I _could_ actually try supporting them,
  maybe they actually are supported now, haven't tested it - if they do
  get decompiled and just get broken texture alignment, I know how to
  fix it, but I'd expect them to get lost totally - I'll test this
  later, and possibly fix)
- brushes get split up into multiple brushes, making the map harder to
  edit (the CSG Merge tool comes in handy then)
- lighting gets lost (unless the map originally had _keeplights in its
  worldspawn entity)
- some special kinds of entities break (billboards, for example, use
  their own surface type, but no idea what they even are)