[Gtkradiant] using radiant with another engine

Mike Wuetherick gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:02:29 -0700

hey all,

i've been lurking for a while now, and have a few questions regarding
usage of this editor with other game engines.

is the editor a true 'gnu' release?  meaning that we can use it for
commercial and non-commercial products?

basically, we have been developing our own open-source game engine for
the past few years, we have our own editors which do the trick, but
having an active development community of the size that this editor
seems to have would greatly simplify our development process - the
editor always seems to be a step behind the rest of the game engine.

one of our developers is currently creating a qeradiant compatible
entity configuration to start experimenting with this editor, but i'm
worried that we will run into legal issues with the commercial uses of
the editor (ie we bundle and sell retail commercial copies, commercial
support, etc and at least a few developers are making commercial games
with the engine) similar to issues related to using the quakeII source
in commercial games, that type of thing.

we do have our own bsp format, so we'd have to create our own
stand-alone compile & vis tools (currently they are integrated into our
editor), but that's about the only issue technically i can see for us to
migrate usage over to this editor.

any insights or info is greatly appreciated.

thanx in advance,

cheers
mike w
www.gekidodesigns.com