[Gtkradiant] RTCW cameras and environment boxes

David Olofson gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:02:15 +0200

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 14:41, Arnout 'RR2DO2' van Meer wrote:
> 1. Is there a tool that can render an RTCW skybox into 6 textures, for
>    use in a Q3A/RTCW environment box? Anything planned?
>
> Do you mean the skyportals?

Yes - sorry 'bout the confused terminology. :-)

> Not really no. Closest you'd get likely is
> going ingame and taking 6 screenshots.

Yeah, but then you'd need to fake a 1:1 aspect view with 90 deg FOV,=20
right? (Which should be possible, I think. Dunno' how to actually do it,=20
though.)

> Or you could just implement the
> skyportals in q3.

Yeah, but I was actually thinking about using the tool for RTCW as well,=20
as a way of generating nice environment boxes. (Distant mountains and=20
that sort of stuff. Possibly in combination with skyportals.)

> 2. Is it possible to mess with the RTCW skybox camera position and/or
>    orientation, through scripting, or otherwise? I'm thinking about
>    scaling viewer world coords into skybox camera offset for correct
>    parallax, UT style "spinning" skyboxes and that kind of stuff.
>
> This is all gamecode related. And sure is possible, juste create a mod
> that does it.

That's what I suspected. I'm not enough into mod programming to know=20
whether or not you can mess with stuff on that level, but I'll look into=20
it some time.

What I'm trying to do is basically kill this "small piece of land in a=20
box" feel that most outdoors maps have. I want maps to look like areas in=
=20
a huge and seamless world - preferably *without* requiring the fastest=20
nVidia for decent frame rates. :-)

=2E- Coming soon from VaporWare Inc...------------------------.
| The Return of Audiality! Real, working software. Really!  |
| Real time and off-line synthesis, scripting, MIDI, LGPL...|