[Gtkradiant] Realtime lighting approach issues.

Gef gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com
Mon, 6 May 2002 13:55:11 +1000

On Sun, 05 May 2002 20:07:17 -0500
Pablo Zurita <pabloz@qeradiant.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >the main points. Let's have an idea where we want to get before we talk
> >about how we get there.
> >
> >- What is a useful lighting preview?
> >
> >That's when the editor speeds up the lighting phase of a map, by requiring
> >less light compiling steps to get to the final result. Give the user an
> >idea of what the lighting will be ingame, and things will be easier for
> >him.
>
> The information generated by the 3d view lighting won't be able to be used
> with q3map because the differences would be too many to actually have q3map
> and gtkradiant exchange the lighting information, unless we do some kind of
> progressive lighting algo or something like that so we could grab the
> lighting generated by GtkRadiant and continue the lighting in q3map.
>
> >- Can we classify the various lightings we have?
> >
> >That's mostly point lights, and light surfaces such as the skybox.
>
> And spotlights.
>

> >- What kind of solutions, for what kind of problems?
> >
> >How can we render the point lights?
> >
> >Render them the same way the engine deals with dynamic light entities
> >(rockets for instance). Generate the lightmap based on a few parameters
> >(radius, color, falloff). Advantages: fairly easy to implement, works on
> >all hardware. Drawbacks: doesn't deal with shadows.
>
> Also a second pass is needed unless ARB_multitexture is used. The process
> isn't done in hardware. And also the code would take much more time than
> doing per-pixel lighting.
>

> >Or, use some more advanced features. The benefit, being able to render
> >shadows. Drawback: need different backends for NVidia / ATI, meaning
> >hardware specific support, and a large extra amount of work.
>
> Another benefits are that there is no need to do a second pass for all the
> geometry. And one pass if ARB_multitexture is used.
> About the drawback, you are right about having to do hardware specific
> support but with Nvidia and ATI support you have about 90% of the
> community. But, it isn't a large amount of work, in fact its pretty damn
> easy, with about 100 lines of code I managed to get some kind of lighting
> done using Nvidia's register combiners and ARB_multitexture. If I manage to
> get the hardware needed(I think if I contact the chips manufacturers I can
> get free hardware to do that) it wouldn't be much problem to get support
> for other cards.
>

> >Another solution was to use GL lights (from GL 1.2 standard) and tesselate
> >the lighted surfaces to achieve about the same result as the lightmaps.
> >Interesting, but I don't have a clear view how workable this is.
>
> GL lights are not an alternative really, first you have the limit of 8
> visible lights max(even in OpenGL 1.3) and also you would have to tesselate
> the geometry at least 8 times. The fillrate would go down A LOT. Also,
> tesselating bezier patches is really easy but the rest of the geometry
> would be a pain in the ass to make the code.

The 8 light limit is only per surface (tris) so that limit doesn't really eliminate
using gl lights as an option, particular with smaller surfaces, you should never
really need to use more than 2-4 lights per tris.

> >- More about shadows:
> >
> >This is really a matter of how useful it is to render the shadows
> >accurately against how much work we have to put into it, and how many
> >users we let down because of vendor specific extensions.
>
> The only thing needed is the stencil buffer.

Using the stencil buffer, with shadow volumes, afaik, can not produce soft
shadows, it's either shadowed, or its not. Which looks nice, but doesn't really
mimic the lighting model that q3map uses. Maybe there are tricks I haven't
read about yet that get around this limitation somehow.

> >I don't consider that exact shadows are important. With the only exception
> >of the sky maybe. Shadows bring me to another idea, which I tried to get
> >through several times:
> >
> >In the end, the user will still have to run a q3map lighting stage anyway.
> >One crucial point is that our preview should be as close as possible as
> >the final result. Very logically, why not using the lightmaps from the
> >compiler directly? Once the user has done a first rough lighting pass of
> >his level, we use this information as much as possible in the editor. If
> >the user changes a surface light, or moves/modifies a point light, we use
> >our internal code to reword the lightmaps in the affected areas. This
> >solution keeps us as close as possible to the actual lighting, which is
> >what this is all about.
>
> I don't know how we are going to turn the q3map information usable because
> by the time q3map gets to the lighting process q3map already trashed lots
> of information with the BSP and VIS. It would be at least 3 times as much
> work to do that than adding support to ALL the video cards with per-pixel
> lighting.
>

> >Side note, this gets us closer to a feature I've wanted for some time too,
> >which is 'painting lightmaps'. I always considered that it would be
> >interesting to override the compiler's lighting and 'paint' the light in
> >some tricky areas.
>
> That's a possibility, maybe making a more simplified and faster version of
> q3map lighting process we could get to something, but I don't think it
> would be as fast as the per-pixel lighting.
>

> >- Looking back at Radiant history regarding lighting preview:
> >
> >We've had Ritual's FAKKRadiant source for litteraly YEARS. Which has an
> >implementation of the lightmap lighting preview I described. leave well
> >enough alone. We should have had this implementation fully working in
> >Radiant for months already. At that point we would have had a good base to
> >talk about more advanced features.
>
> I don't mean to say Ritual sucks or anything similar, but their
> photonmapping approach is terrible, they tried to adapt a technique that
> was created for raytracing in a  realtime environment and it just simply
> doesn't work(unless you have a really powerful computer). To speed up the
> process we would have to add at least Irradiance caching which is a method
> to reuse irradiance values via interpolation, KD-trees to store the
> photons, and ray marching which speeds up the process to find how each
> photon contributes to the light solution. That would take a long time I
> believe.

ydnars q3map lighting code, in some of its incarnations has been really quick
(by no means realtime) and also exports lightmap images. Adapting that with
the FAKKRadiant implementation, which uses a similar tecnique to q3map lighting,
Reduce the lightmap resolution and maybe pull the lighting code out of q3map
into a general lighting library, could be another alternative which would probably
produce the most accurate representation of the final lighting result that you
would see in game.

Adding a lightmap import function to q3map would allow you to use a modified lightmap
image as a base for generating the new lightmaps for the final compile. This would
simplify adding the mystical "paint with light" function to radiant, since all you would
be doing is modifying the lightmap image data for a given surface.

For a realtime editor, the lighting should not really need to be accurate enough that
the time taken to produce it detracts from the editing process. The lighting should
really only need to represent the final result that you would see in the engine, not
reproduce it.

I don't really object to using vendor specific extensions to add features to radiant,
but using vendor specific extensions to add functionality is a different matter. And
realtime lighting preview falls squarely in the feature category. Also, ^Fishman mentioned
that he would be implementing this in a plugin, so why not implement multiple methods
and allow the user to chose the one they prefer based on the performance of their
system and the extensions available. Of course, that assumes that ^Fishman, and
anyone else who contributes has nothing better to do with their time than experiment
with realtime lighting methods ;]

I should add as a minor disclaimer that I haven't implemented, or studied any lighting
code in much detail, so what I've said are opinions based on a fairly limited knowledge
of whats involved.

Gef :]