[Gtkradiant] Re: Gtkradiant digest, Vol 1 #566 - 8 msgs

gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com
Tue, 06 Aug 2002 11:02:16 -0500

realtime in UED allows surfaces with a lightmap already=
 (prerendered) to accept realtime light from a new pointlight,=
 and to move existing pointlights around. i don't know exactly=
 how it's done, but i suspect it's a texturing method like bert=
 mentioned... when you do move or put a new light in, it casts to=
 all facing normals in its range even thru solids that would=
 otherwise block it.

On Tue, 06 Aug 2002 06:27:23 -0500,=
 gtkradiant-request@zerowing.idsoftware.com babbled something=
 about:
 <rr2do2@splashdamage.com>=A0To:
><gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com>=A0Subject: RE: [Gtkradiant]=
 Realtime
>lighting approach issues.
>Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 19:40:57 +0100 Reply-To:
>gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com
>
>Anything not precalculated is rendered unlit. Doesn't really=
 seem
>realtime to me. 'In-editor lighting view' is the best=
 description of
>that.
>
>- Arnout
>

>--__--__--
>
>Message: 8 From: Bert.Peers@materialise.be To:
>gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com Subject: RE: [Gtkradiant]=
 Realtime
>lighting approach issues.
>Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:37:59 +0200 Reply-To:
>gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com
>

>>Perhaps Bert Peers would be so kind as to lend us his BSP=
 renderer
>>source.
>
>I'm not sure how that would help -- it's just a dime-a-dozen=
 bsp
>renderer, using the lightmaps embedded in the compiled .bsp,=
 just like
>q3a itself ?
>Ie, pretty useless without the compilation step.
>
>>I like UnrealEd's approach to the textured 3d view...it just=
 draws the
>>BSP. Any brushes/stuff that's changed get rendered as well,=
 unlit.

>How about using 3d textures to give a good impression of light=
 placement
>and falloff ? =A0For the cases where q3map traces for=
 direct-light