Proposed name for entire operating system

Adam Martin adam at fsl.cs.sunysb.edu
Thu Mar 29 03:59:11 EDT 2007

All,

	Justin and I were talking a few days ago, and I suggested the name
"PreciOS" (Think both "precious" and "precision") as a pun on "Gold"
for the name of the whole operating system.  Wanted to get everyone's
feedback on it.  I suggest we have a name, other than Gold, for the
whole idea, simply to avoid confusion.  The term "Gold" has too many
other terms tied in with it, and has become the name of both the
whole system, and the userland component.  So I suggest a new name
for the whole system; this will also ease in explaining the concept
to people.  (No need to rename the source tree, or the source files.
Just call the whole mess, when installed "PreciOS", and setup a
website too.)

Regards,

--
ADAM David Alan Martin

FreeBSD Hacker, TCSH Hacker, general UNIX coding
Author of AutoFS for FreeBSD 6.x
LSD Kernel Lead Developer
Filesystem and Storage Lab, SUNY Stony Brook
Assorted Mania and Mayhem