[gold-devel] What do we want to provide?

Nathan Ladd nathanladd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 12:25:36 EDT 2005

I've been thinking over RPC, and I've pretty much come into agreement with
Justin on everything he had in mind, but I'll spill that out here just so we
have it in a permanent home (and we can discuss it further):

1) RPC communication is done through simple Connections and proxy objects.
Connections are like uni-directional sockets. You don't have to respond to a
Connection request with a Connection request to the source; you might just
want one way traffic.

2) When an object's parent is destroyed, the RPC system reparents it in some
sort of graveyard, and adjusts everyone's proxy objects accordingly.

3) Basically, the only methods we need are for the creation of Connections,
and somehow creating proxy objects for those Connections. In fact,
Connection handling methods can likely exist inside proxy objects.