[freespace2] Release?

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 19 14:08:36 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 16:53 +0100, James Le Cuirot wrote:
> prefer to use actual releases, or failing that, we would make our own
> CVS snapshots. Would it be possible to start putting out some releases?

There hasn't been a big need to do an official release that I know of.
That doesn't mean the plenty of people haven't been asked for one of
course.  Personally I would like to just get it done and do a release
once but that's not really my call.  Or maybe it is, I think I'm the
only active developer now.

With audio and movies working and most the bugs fixed I would like an
official release soon but there are two things I would like completed
first.  The first being PXO support.  This is something that I'm working
on now as I have a copy of the original PXO code.  The second thing is
to get the Windows version of the code up to date.  Nothing big in that
second case since most of it is just making sure it builds and fixing
any minor bugs.  The timer code for Windows has to be updated (which
I've already got fixes for) to support new computers with faster
processors, multiple processors, and WinXP.

> While I'm here, I'm experiencing some minor graphical corruption, I
> don't know if it's common or not. When viewing the cutscenes from the
> menu, the menu flickers in the background while the cutscene plays. And
> if I press escape during a mission and move the mouse over the HUD, the
> mouse pointer leaves flickering copies of itself behind. This must be
> some kind of double buffering issue.

Yes, it's a known problem.  I was having issues with that for the OS X
release and there is a little mix of code from FS2_Open changes which
might be part of the problem.  Nothing big but I never could get
everything working 100% on all video cards and it works differently in
windowed and fullscreen modes.  What card and drivers are you using?

Taylor Richards <taylor at icculus.org>