[freespace2] FS1: Again some problems with FreeSpace1

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 6 22:31:53 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 02:05 +0200, fatty wrote:
> 1. I don't have background music when using the OpenAL 1.0 libs. Strange
> enough the music play's with OpenAL 1.1 but then the game crashes once I
> attack an enemy...
> I think it's better to not bother you with OpenAL 1.1 problems, but
> maybe that's a hint?

Hmm, they work fine for me with 1.0.  I'm waiting on 1.1 support until
after it's a bit more complete but it will be supported.  Check the
fs_debug.log file in ~/.freespace/Data and look for anything ACM or
OpenAL related.  It may have an issue either playing or decoding the
data, or be totally unrelated to that.

> 2. I recognised two mission-errors:
> a) The first advanced training (introduction to a new rocket type and
> shield usage) hangs when you have to shoot _ONE_ rocket on a training
> target. I fired several rounds on it, but the "teacher" didn't go on.

There was several training mission bugs that were directly related to
the German version.  I can't remember if this was one of them or not but
I'll give it a run through and see if I can find any issues.  One issue
was a key-press check which has long since been fixed and one or two
others were string checks which might have broken since it was fixed
previously.

> b) In one mission you have to disable the ship "Ramses" of "The Hammer
> of Light", but a shivan starship (I think it was called "Taranis") warps
> in and "destroys" the traitors' ship. I quoted that, because the ship
> only get's damaged until around 50%. Nevertheless I was able to finish
> the mission.

I'll put this on my list to test this weekend.

> 3. I'm not sure, if FreeSpace 1 has voice output during briefing and
> debriefing. But I recognised a short sound stutter at the beginning of
> every de-/briefing, so I think there should be something.

I have the German version of the missions and none of them specify voice
filenames like the English version does.  I suppose it's possible that
the voices don't exist in the German version, or they are in English and
not used.  I seem to remember asking one of the German beta testers
about this when I was originally doing the port but I don't remember the
answer right now.

I'm not sure where the stutter is coming from but there is a sound that
plays (on purpose) at the start but it only lasts about a second.

Taylor Richards <taylor at icculus.org>