[freespace2] other-than-english versions

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 2 10:35:30 EST 2005

Michal Wozniak wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  Another one from me:) I know that linux installer only works
>  with english version, but is it because that's the only one
>  supported by the port or it's only installer limitation?
>
> Regards.

It's all that's been tested as far as I known.  The one binary will work
on English, German, French and Polish data without changes.  Some of the
  language versions are known to have a slightly different layout on the
CD-ROMs though which makes it a bit more difficult to support them.  If
the installer is known to work with a particular version then we just
need to know about it.  The problem is that some of the language
versions will have extra files to install or files that shouldn't be
installed.  There are also the OEM versions and special versions of the
game which just can't all be tested by one person.

The game, at least what's in CVS, should work on just about any version
but the installer is just something that you have to try and if it works
then great, if not then you'll have to install by hand.  If it ends up
that you have to install by hand then there is a little utility called
unshield which will extract the needed files from the .cab file on the
first disc.  The files on the other discs are easily copied to where you
need them.  If you need help figuring out how install by hand let me
know and I'll post instructions.

Taylor Richards <taylor at icculus.org>