[freespace2] Patches for music and movies

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 29 14:18:42 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 14:05 -0500, james tittle wrote:
> ...excellent!  Just synched up, and so far have test fs1 only...the gl
> movie code is very smooth, but osx still has some problems with weird
> pixels, seemingly on color transition borders:  but it's very nice to
> see the movie full speed with sound!  I did notice that the first time
> playing thru the intro.mve the sound and visuals were slightly out of
> sync...however, they were in sync when I played it again from the
> control room (which is cool, because previously the sound didn't play
> at all when playing from the control room)...however, I then played it
> a second and third time in the control room, only to not have
> sound...so obviously something's getting lost here...

I'm using the games timer functions which aren't quite as accurate as
the standard Unix timer.  If it's bad then I need to change it back,
though it's normally unnoticeable for me.  I just wanted it to still
work under Windows if needed and without a bunch of #ifdef's.  Not sure
about the audio problem, doesn't happen for me but I'll keep trying
later tonight.

> ...sounds very good, but no hurry:  I think I'll try to go ahead and
> get a new round of binaries over the next few days (it has been about a
> year)...beforehand, I wanted to pass these minor diffs that I found:

Don't worry about them.  gr_bitmap_ex() is obsolete in the current code
and I think it was only used in the original FS1 or something.  Nothing
in the code uses it now so there's not much point in filling it in as it
will never be used.  Same for the grsoft.cpp changes.  Since the
software renderer was never completely ported over (and is crap anyway)
it just doesn't compile from the Makefile any longer.  Still means that
it's broken under Windows but I'm going to go through and change the
gr_set_bitmap() stuff (and others) to have working defaults again so we
won't have to remember what they all are.

Taylor Richards <taylor at icculus.org>