[freespace2] new to list, big thank you

Mihai Rusu dizzy at roedu.net
Sat Jun 4 09:14:02 EDT 2005

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Mark J. Small wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I recently picked up a copy of FS2 on ebay, and am using the linux port (CVS
> from a few days ago) of it.  I must say that this is my best experience with
> linux gaming yet.  I have played about 16 missions so far, and things are
> working really well. Thank you for the hard work.

Indeed, freespace linux port works very nice and the people behind it
deserve big thanks. However, speaking about nice linux gaming experience
try:
- heroes of might and magic 3 (lokigames title)
- soldier of fortune (lokigames title)
- doom3
- the elder scrolls 3: morrowind (with wine/cedega, works very very nice,
just like in windows :), this is what I have been playing the last months
on linux)

> I've had  NO crashes, and the only glitch is that the audio in the post
> missions debriefings will often restart.  I'll hear something like:
>
> "Well done pilot, you succe[chop] Well done pilot, you succeeded in destroying
> the...."
>
> Movies work great, everything else seems perfect.  I really think that
> Freespace1/2 are the second greatest games I've ever played.  (The best is
> still Tie Fighter, but that will never be linux native)

What whould be great too is that the SCP (the source code project) whould
work on Linux too because they have very nice graphics engine additions
and with the new data files it looks more like FreeSpace3 than FreeSpace2
(and try out the community campaigns, some are very good and big).

Mihai RUSU                                    Email: dizzy at roedu.net
GPG : http://dizzy.roedu.net/dizzy-gpg.txt    WWW: http://dizzy.roedu.net
                        "Linux is obsolete" -- AST