[freespace2] Freespace hangs with fsport

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 12 05:13:55 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 20:18 +0200, Raffael Herzog wrote:
> It hangs exactly when the debriefing should start, i.e. I'm still in the
> game screen (right after the ship disappeared in the sub space). No
> movement anymore, no sound, but 100% CPU. When I kill the X-Server
> without killing freespace2, it will continue running at 100% CPU until I
> kill it with SIGKILL.

That backtrace you posted was from when a mission was just loading, not
ending.  It can't be the same problem.  This could be the talking head
bug I suppose.  Try another CVS update and see if the recent changes
help any.  Also you can try to disable the talking heads (F2 while in
mission -> hudconfig -> turn off talking head box in upper left of HUD
screen) just before you leave that mission.  If that's what it takes to
prevent the hanging then let me know.  You can turn the talking head
back on for the next mission unless it hangs too.

Other than that I will say to try it with current FS2_Open CVS.  I can't
remember if FSPort requires FS2_Open yet or not but I don't think so.
It would be worth a try though if nothing else appears to be working.

> PS: Checking the .vp files I installed, I found root_fs2.vp. I'm not
> sure anymore, but isn't this file from FS2_Open? Maybe I made a mistake
> when I was fiddling around with FS2_Open and mixed up my retail FS2
> installation ...

Nope.  root_fs2.vp is from the default install of Freespace 2.  Unless
it's mv_*.vp something then it's not likely specific to FS2_Open.

Taylor Richards <taylor at icculus.org>