Freespace hangs with fsport

Raffael Herzog herzog-lists at raffael.ch
Sun Aug 7 14:18:27 EDT 2005

Hi,

I *finally* wanted to play the two Freespace 1 campaigns using the port
of Freespace 1 to Freespace 2. Everything seemed to work fine and the
story evolved -- until mission 10 ("First Strike").

No matter how I end this mission, whether I die, whether I complete
everything or whether I cancel it, as soon as the mission ends, FS2
hangs before it could save the pilot's state and I have to kill my
X-Server and replay the mission (FS2 can only be killed by SIGKILL which
means that it wont release the mouse/keyboard, that's why I have to kill
the whole X-Server). Because this also happens when I die, I can't just
die five times and then skip it knowing that I already did it several
times ... :(

It hangs exactly when the debriefing should start, i.e. I'm still in the
game screen (right after the ship disappeared in the sub space). No
movement anymore, no sound, but 100% CPU. When I kill the X-Server
without killing freespace2, it will continue running at 100% CPU until I
kill it with SIGKILL.

I'm using the latest version of fsport and a recent CVS checkout (just a
few days ago) and the latest version of the FS Port (2.3). My setup
might be a little strange because I own the german version of FS2 and
I'm using the (english) data files from the FS Port, which results in a
funny mix of english briefings, english/german in-game messages and
german movies (using the MVEs from my german FS1 CDs).

The files I installed are:
- fsport2_3.vp
- fsport_hi-res.vp
- sparky_hi_fs1.vp
- stu_fs1.vp
- tango_fs1.vp
- warble_fs1.vp

My system is P4/HT/3.2GHz/1GB, Ubuntu 5.4, nVidia GeForce FX 5800 Go
(64MB), nVidia driver version 7174.

Any ideas of what's going wrong there? I know that the hi-res textures
might be a bit too much for the video card, but until now I didn't have
any performance problems and I don't think that this hang could be
caused by this.

TIA,
   Raffi

PS: Checking the .vp files I installed, I found root_fs2.vp. I'm not
sure anymore, but isn't this file from FS2_Open? Maybe I made a mistake
when I was fiddling around with FS2_Open and mixed up my retail FS2
installation ...

--
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is
no difference, but in practice, there is.

herzog at raffael.ch · ICQ#67961355 · PGP Key 5D1FF5F4 · wwwkeys.ch.pgp.net