[freespace2] freespace2 OSX audio problems

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 2 14:01:50 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 06:03 -0500, Jonas Laurio wrote:
> problems w/ no voice or music in specified parts... log reported err on
> line 682 - right after the genbuffers _ not so good I'm thinking, but I
> did the same for the * of it and now the log spews gobs of one specific
> line in ds.cpp:
> STUB: ds3d_update_listener at src/sound/ds.cpp, line 3825, thread 905

Still not voice of music though right?  After that genbuffers line put
this instead of the alGetError():

printf("%s:%d - %s", __FILE__, __LINE__, alGetString( alGetError() );"

That will tell us why genbuffers is failing.  It should only be one of
two errors, MAX_AL_BUF is too small (not, it's 4) or it's an out of
memory error.  You could try making MAX_AL_BUF be 2 and see if that
changes anything.  I've been holding off on suggesting this but you
could try an older OpenAL too.  Grab the installer off of Creative's
site and see if it's giving you the same errors.
http://developer.creative.com/landing.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38

Don't worry about the update_listener thing, I have just never updated
it with newer code.  The new code doesn't work right and I don't like
putting known broken stuff in CVS so I've been holding off on it.  I'm
putting a bit more effort in to get it working though since FS2_Open
needs it too.

> Yeah I still do get that corruption at the end of the gl strings output
> in the log. It must be a bug in the program like you said, glxinfo
> doesn't output garbage like that :)

I just put that fix (hopefully) in CVS so get an update and see if
helps.  It will also give a similar report for OpenAL which I think will
be rather useful in the future.  If it's still messing up let me know.

Taylor Richards <taylor at icculus.org>