[freespace2] Crash with latest version

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 18 17:22:20 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 05:42, christophe.cavalaria at enst-bretagne.fr
wrote:
> That's interesting. I first get an error while initialising OpenAL :
>
> General: soundcard = <nothing>
> Sound: SOUND ==> Initializing OpenAL...

Hmm, are you using the same version of OpenAL that worked the last time
you could successfully run the game?  You could try using the same
OpenAL that came with UT2K4, copy it into the freespace2 directory and
use "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./freespace2 -g -w".  Just
remember to rename the OpenAL lib to the same name that the freespace2
binary is trying to use.

> And that was one of the most interresting gdb run I've ever done. The game
> crashes as soon as I run the line 2856 of gropengl.cpp
> 	mprintf(( "Extensions : %s\n", glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS) ));
>
> and if I just comment that line, it works perfectly ! If I step into, I arrive
> in the function outwnd_printf2 with a tmp of size MAX_LINE_WIDTH*4 with
> MAX_LINE_WIDTH=128 ! It seems the extensions available on the latest OpenGL
> driver takes too much place even for that. I'll just increase it to 256 I
> guess.

Yeah, that needs to be chopped up and formated in a per-line way.  I'll
add that to my list.  mprintf() should only do something when using a
debug build.  If you don't use a debug build and it still happens then
let me know.

Taylor Richards <taylor at icculus.org>