[freespace2] Installation Instructions

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 11 10:44:07 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 09:22 -0500, Net Beast wrote:
> I just downloaded a copy of Freespace from CVS and the installation
> instructions were not included.  Does anyone have them?

Are you using "Freespace: The Great War" (FS1) or "Freespace 2" (FS2)?
A few differences between the two but I'll cover the basics.  If you
don't want to build from CVS and install yourself I would suggest one of
ravage's installers which you can get here: http://icculus.org/~ravage/

If installing FS2 you'll need Wine or access to a Windows installation
to get all of the files off of the original discs.  Using the HotU
version is not supported and you'll have to figure that one out for
yourself.  All you need for FS2 is all of the VP files (root_fs2.vp,
etc) and the binary you build from CVS.  I would suggest that you edit
the Makefile from the CVS checkout and uncomment this line: "#CFLAGS+=-
DNDEBUG".  That will turn off the debugging code and things will
probably work a bit better for you.  Copy the binary (freespace2) and
the VP files into the directory of your choice and that's pretty much
it.  Should play fine after that.

For FS1 the VP files can be easily copied from the CDs so you don't need
to do anything special there.  You'll have to edit the Makefile and set
FS1 (near the top) to "true".  That should give you a binary (freespace)
which you'll copy, along with the VP files, into a directory of your
choosing.  The extra step is to go to
http://icculus.org/~taylor/freespace and get the fs1.vp for your
language version (English or German).  It should run fine after that.

In both cases, whether you install FS1 or FS2, you need to make sure
that you install the updates for them.  For FS1 that's 1.06, which has
the updates available on the link above.  For FS2 you'll need the 1.20
update which you can get here:
http://icculus.org/~taylor/freespace/updates/fs2-1.20-x86.run

If you use ravage's installers you don't have to worry about the
updates.  If you are interested in the 64-bit versions of either FS1 or
FS2 for AM64 then I can make the installer for you if you want.  You can
also check out the Linux Gamers' FAQ at http://icculus.org/lgfaq since
it has a couple of Freespace related things in it.

Taylor Richards <taylor at icculus.org>