[freespace2] compiling on linux/ppc

tigital tigital at mac.com
Sun Sep 28 22:17:29 EDT 2003

On Sunday, September 28, 2003, at 08:36  PM, J. Volkmann wrote:
> Then start it again:
> $ ./freespace2
> Installing default /home/killerbyte/.freespace2/FreeSpace2.ini
> WinMain: exceptions shall fall through
> STUB: WinMainSub at src/freespace2/freespace.cpp, line 7109, thread
> 10806
> STUB: find_freespace_cd at src/freespace2/freespace.cpp, line 8560,
> thread 10806
> General: Size of bitmap info = 355 KB
> General: Size of bitmap extra info = 8 bytes
> General: Building file index...
> General: Searching root '/usr/local/games/freespace2/'
>
> Then it just stops doing anything. It keeps producing 100% CPU usage,
> but doesn't seem to do anything.
> I will let this machine run over night, but I don't expect it to work
> suddenly. If anyone has an idea what to do about this: Mail here :-)

...I'd guess this is because you need to do a LOT of byteswapping in
order to run the code on ppc, and it's not in cvs (yet)...I've got a
bunch of code that allows it to compile and run (very well) on OS X,
but haven't submitted it to cvs because I don't have write access...I
guess I could send a diff to the list, but my experience with doing
this previously is that the submitted changes just get ignored...

...what's a guy gotta do to get this stuff in cvs?

l8r,
jamie