[freespace2] compiling on linux/ppc

J. Volkmann jvolkmann at gmx.de
Sun Sep 28 20:36:37 EDT 2003

J. Volkmann (jvolkmann at gmx.de) schrieb:

> > g++ (GCC) 3.3.2 20030908 (Debian prerelease)
> >
> > Shall I try another version (I'm currently using the one of debian sid)?
> >
> Wow, changing the CC to CC=g++-2.95 really worked!
>
> I will now try if I get it to run, if anyone is interested in linux/ppc
> bins, please feel free to drop a mail.

*sigh*
Some day I will stop posting here. I promise ;-)

$ ./freespace2
mkdir: error while loading shared libraries: ./libopenal.so.0: ELF file
data encoding not big-endian
Creating preferences directory...
Creating directory /home/killerbyte/.freespace2/
mkdir: error while loading shared libraries: ./libopenal.so.0: ELF file
data encoding not big-endian
Installing default /home/killerbyte/.freespace2/FreeSpace2.ini
cp: error while loading shared libraries: ./libopenal.so.0: ELF file
data encoding not big-endian
./freespace2-bin: error while loading shared libraries:
./libopenal.so.0: ELF file data encoding not big-endian

This was from the version of the latest ravage installer, I just copied
it over and replaced the bins.
I then replaced the libopenal.so.0 and the libSDL-1.2.so.0 in the
working dir by the files of the same name I found on that machine :-)

Then start it again:
$ ./freespace2
Installing default /home/killerbyte/.freespace2/FreeSpace2.ini
WinMain: exceptions shall fall through
STUB: WinMainSub at src/freespace2/freespace.cpp, line 7109, thread
10806
STUB: find_freespace_cd at src/freespace2/freespace.cpp, line 8560,
thread 10806
General: Size of bitmap info = 355 KB
General: Size of bitmap extra info = 8 bytes
General: Building file index...
General: Searching root '/usr/local/games/freespace2/'

Then it just stops doing anything. It keeps producing 100% CPU usage,
but doesn't seem to do anything.
I will let this machine run over night, but I don't expect it to work
suddenly. If anyone has an idea what to do about this: Mail here :-)

mfG Johannes