[freespace2] .ini options?

Steven Fuller relnev at icculus.org
Wed Nov 5 02:50:56 EST 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, tigital wrote:

> 1.  is there a main listing of possible *.ini file options?

I think you have to search for the os_config_read_* and write functions;
they are scattered all over.

> I ask because I was looking
> through gropengl.cpp and noticed a call to os_config_read_uint() for a
> "UseLuminanceAlpha", but then can't find where that value is used:  are
> all of these options read in through os_config_read_uint()?

Yes, all ini file operatings go through os_config_read* and
os_config_write*.

I think "UseLuminanceAlpha" was for a graphics driver workaround but I
don't know if it is still used.

> 2.  has anyone tried to do a configuration splash screen?  Since the
> OSX version doesn't necessarily run from command line (it could, but
> it's currently built as a double-clickable application package), I
> think it'd be nice to put up a small configuration window that would
> allow manipulation of such options as found in *.ini (or passed through
> cli), without having to open the *.ini in a text editor...does anyone
> know of an app where something like this has been done via SDL or some
> associated library?

Another solution is to have the game launch a separate executable if the
.ini file could not be found.  That way, one can use any GUI toolkit
without requiring the game be linked to it.

Steven Fuller