[freespace2] G400 text problem... someone test this

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Tue May 6 04:20:59 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 03:51, Bradley Bell wrote:
> Quoting Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>:
>
> > Clearing the zbuffer after the shader fixes this for me but I'm only
> > looking at the mainhall.  If someone wouldn't mind, test this to see if
> > it gets all of the issues on the HUD too.  I don't think there are any
> > adverse effects from this (speed wise or other).  If there is a better
> > or more complete way of doing this please let me know.  If this patch
> > doesn't work for you on the mainhall then you're doing it wrong ;-)
>
> Yep, it fixes it for the mainhall, and fixes it for the hud most of the time.
> It still does it occasionally, such as whenever I collide with anything, so it
> could be related to the flashing "collision" text.

There are two different shades, one used on the mainhall and one used in
the help (F1).  The same fix seems to work for the second shade type as
well and I think that's what's used for the collision text, missile
warnings, etc.  Unless someone comes up with a better option I guess
that's the fix.  If you notice any performance drops I'd like to know
about them.

EDIT: Got your other message just before pressing send :-)
gr_opengl_rect is the other one.  Just clearing the zbuffer with glClear
doesn't do the job and I can't remember if gr_opengl_set_state is enough
either.

I'm trying out a new dri cvs which finally has a bunch of texture
related and software->hardware path fixes.  Movies finally work now and
are excellerated enough to be below the sweet spot (0.033 secs per
frame) so that's good (0.07 before, 0.01 now).  I'm having some problems
with it but I think it's becuase of install(er) rather than the
software.  The only problem of course is that it may be next year before
anybody who doesn't build X from CVS gets the changes.  It would be nice
if Matrox put out a new release with some of these fixes.  Though I
think it needs an updated kernel module to function properly and I'm not
sure if it's backward compatible, I'll have to check into that.

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>