[freespace2] mve player... question/issue

Janis Pusmucans church at is.lv
Mon Mar 31 03:36:31 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 23:54, Taylor Richards wrote:
> Still playing with this without getting any faster.  I received the book
> Friday and have been going over it but it hasn't helped much.  It has
> helped my understanding of the various things but the code I had been
> using was fine according to the book.  The G400 still didn't speed up
> any but I think I know why now, it's not accelerated.  It seems to be
> hitting a software path with data type GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT_1_5_5_5_REV.  I
> found a post to the utah-glx mailing list using google which confirmed
> this but that was about 2 1/2 years ago.  I'm not sure if it's supposed
> to be accelerated using current drivers.  I tested this by using
> GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT_5_6_5_REV and got an instant 10x speed increase.  The
> video was messed up of course but I guess that can be fixed in the
> decoder (not sure how or where to look).
mhmm, i would suggest contacting guys on mplayer mailing list. imho they
fought with misc video acceleration issues on very wide range of cards
for already long time. maybe something useful can be borrowed there?
just a guess ..
> I suppose this could be the cause of other problems (general speed,
> fonts, etc.) in the game with the G400, but then it would be a driver
> issue unless something in the FS2 engine is specifically causing a
> slowdown.  Should I bother trying to get this working with the G400 or
> move on and get the V3 working and get the code tested with ATI cards?
imho as both v3 and g400 becomes rather dated as gaming hardware, maybe
ati/nvidia should be counted with a bit higher priority. for now these
two vendors are only ones shipping decent 3d hardware with linux
support. (maybe comercial accelerated X servers with wider/better
support for some rare cards can be counted aswell, but they are not
mainstream anyway)