mve player... question/issue

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 30 15:54:46 EST 2003

Still playing with this without getting any faster.  I received the book
Friday and have been going over it but it hasn't helped much.  It has
helped my understanding of the various things but the code I had been
using was fine according to the book.  The G400 still didn't speed up
any but I think I know why now, it's not accelerated.  It seems to be
hitting a software path with data type GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT_1_5_5_5_REV.  I
found a post to the utah-glx mailing list using google which confirmed
this but that was about 2 1/2 years ago.  I'm not sure if it's supposed
to be accelerated using current drivers.  I tested this by using
GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT_5_6_5_REV and got an instant 10x speed increase.  The
video was messed up of course but I guess that can be fixed in the
decoder (not sure how or where to look).

I suppose this could be the cause of other problems (general speed,
fonts, etc.) in the game with the G400, but then it would be a driver
issue unless something in the FS2 engine is specifically causing a
slowdown.  Should I bother trying to get this working with the G400 or
move on and get the V3 working and get the code tested with ATI cards?

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>