[freespace2] Text Problem Goes Away With Xinerama

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 18 14:18:53 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 13:35, Joshua Menke wrote:
> Something interesting I just noticed about the whole block text and
> display sections problem, it goes away if I run two monitors in xinerama
> mode. Unfortunately, the speed is so slow it's unbearable. I go
> full-screen on one screen, and still pretty slow. I have a P III 1 Ghz
> with a Matrox G400Max.

I'm pretty sure that it uses software rendering when in xinerama mode.
I know that MesaGL (software) works fine, it's just something with the
mga dri hardware drivers.  I've been doing some searching and saw that
Flightgear has/had a similar problem.  The person who reported the
problem said that updated drivers fixed the problem.  The newest drivers
I've seen (from October last year) didn't fix it so I'm not sure which
drivers he used.  Drivers available from Matrox's site don't fix the
problem either.  I'm going to try the cvs mga drivers in the next day or
two and see if that helps any.  I'll let you know what I find out.

I would like to know what distribution/version you're running as well as
what version of XFree86 you've got, if you don't mine sharing.

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>