[freespace2] More on the text coming and going

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 14 19:17:07 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 18:53, Joshua Menke wrote:

> >Are you using the 3-CD version of FS2 or something else?  It sounds like
> >there is something messed up with your install or your using an OEM
> >version or just downloaded the files.  Is this an English version or
> >another language version?  If it's a different language version than
> >your binary then some of the font characters probably won't show up
> >correctly.
> >
> I actually downloaded the hotu (www.the-underdogs.org) version. I also
> added in some of the missing files (voice, music, hi-res graphics). A
> lot of the fonts work fine. It's when they appear at certain points.
> Maybe it's just a single font or two, and when it displays that
> particular font, maybe it messes other things up.
>
> Oh, I also get the same problem in the dock screen, where you can choose
> between going to the next mission, viewing technical specs, exiting,
> editing players, etc. The text on the bottom of that screen comes up all
> blocky also. No text, just blocky lines.
>
> It's English. It runs fine on windows. Just having problems with the
> linux version. I'm wondering if it has to do with some of the files not
> being named with the right case.

That's a very good possibility.  I haven't seen exactly how the hotu
version is done.  If it is file case you have a pretty easy fix.  Using
the cvs of FS2 do 'make cfilearchiver' and use it to make a vp archive
of the hotu files.  The instructions from cfilearchiver should be pretty
clear but just make sure that the last directory is named "data" (not
case sensitive) and does not have a trailing "/".  If you have problems
or it doesn't help the font problem let me know.

And as Bradley said already the G400 has problems on the main menu so
this won't help that if you've got one.

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>