[freespace2] unstable speed of game?

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 9 17:21:51 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 17:09, Jacek Popławski wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 09:46:26PM -0800, Christopher Thielen wrote:
> > here's a patch to fix it.
>
> :-)

Note that compiling without NDEBUG does more timing related things than
just this so make sure this actually helps _with_ NDEBUG.  A debug build
times the frames a little differently  and actually uses the timing
functions whereas a non-debug build does not use them.  I don't think
that just defining USE_TIMING is going to do anything worthwhile.  I
believe there is something else going on here maybe related to a driver
issue but Dan and Steven know much more about this than I do.  I can't
repeat this problem with NVIDIA or G400 drivers.

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 08:39:33PM -0800, Christopher Thielen wrote:
> well, for whatever reason, the SDL_GetTicks() timing method is
> considered debug. any reason for this?

Unless I'm not seeing something that Christopher is SDL_GetTicks() is
used in all builds debug or not.  I've already tried another method of
calculating the time but it didn't help any.

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>