[freespace2] support for polish version of freespace 2

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 6 06:55:22 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 03:41, rraptorr wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2003, Taylor Richards wrote:
<-- snip -->
> > If we can decide on a relatively foolproof way of conjuring "automagic"
> > I think it could added to this pretty easily.  Although I know that it
> > runs and at least appears to switch languages I don't know if it works
> > 100% as expected.  I think I can find a German tester or two who would
> > agree to test but I want to get this largely finalized first.  Comments,
> > suggestions, recipe for "automagic"?
>
> I'll look through it during the weekend and try to merge polish version.
> And I'll do some tests maybe.

I added your patch to my tree but with some rejects because of the FS1
stuff.  They were easily fixed though so not big deal.  I made one
change that may not be necessary at the moment (since I didn't check)
but I added "max_scan_codes = sizeof(Scan_code_text_polish) /
sizeof(char *);" to controlconfigcommon.cpp.

One thing I wanted to ask you about is whether or not to get rid of
medals_translate_name_pl() and just use medals_translate_name().  I'm
assuming that the French version would need this at some point as well
so medals_translate_name() could be modified to support multiple
languages instead of just German which should make it easier to
modify/add medal translations in one place.  The call to
medals_translate_name() could be changed to "if (!Lcl_english)" so it's
used for everything that's not English.  Any language that doesn't have
a translating will still get the English text.  Opinions?

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>