[freespace2] Questions...

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 20 16:17:27 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 15:06, Dan Olson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 01:44:02PM -0500, Taylor Richards wrote:
> > > - Case insensitive filename matching within VPs (for mods)
> >
> > Aren't filenames in VPs already matched without sensitivity?  I know
> > that matching of non-archived files is case sensitive.
> >
> I'll admit I haven't looked into the issue yet, but I was under the
> impression that the reason the Babylon 5 and other mods did not work
> correctly is because the cfile code matched files in .vp archives case
> sensitively.

No it's the other way around.  I put them (B5 stuff) in VP archives to
get around the case sensitivity problems.  Though I haven't really used
a lot of mods I haven't seen one yet that was in a vp archive.  Mostly
they are just a zip file or something that you extract into the Data
directory.  It's mostly an issue with the way the mod maker references
files in different cases and that's why some mods work better than
others.  I haven't looked at how cfile searches vp archive files yet to
see if that same to see if that same tactic can be used on non-archive
files.  If it can't I haven't thought of a way to do it that's not
completely insane and probably not worth trying.  I'll put that on my
list of things to check out this weekend, unless someone else wants to
volunteer.

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>