[freespace2] max texture size

Steven Fuller relnev at icculus.org
Wed Feb 5 16:46:28 EST 2003

On 2 Feb 2003, Taylor Richards wrote:

> The default value is for the Voodoo cards and if the texture is larger
> it is shrunk down to fit the 256x256 limit.  I think that some cards
> will return an incorrect value and that's why it's an option.  My
> knowledge of such things is limited though which is why I'll let Steven
> or Dan make the final decision.

The early Voodoos also had the 1:8 max width/height ratio.  I think using
the OpenGL-queried values is OK, although the "proper" way of doing it may
be to use proxy textures and check to see if the given width/height is
valid.

I tried not forcing square textures, but that seemed to only mess up the
menu graphics, so there's something wrong with the bitmap section code...

Steven Fuller