[freespace2] Update...

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 21 22:41:09 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 22:03, Andreas wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 05:25:33PM -0400, Taylor Richards wrote:
> > Command line options done.  Most compiler warning messages fixed.  Cfile
> > system bug fixed (check userdir, gamedir, vps rather than userdir,
> > vps).  Some minor sound stuff.  Probably some other stuff but the patch
> > is over 160K at the moment and I'm tired of looking through it.
>
> That's quite a patch :) Have you commited something to CVS?
> So far, I'm still playing the game, those core dumps stopped, and that 120fps
> ceiling was fixed with your latest change (the one I first reported caused
> sound to deteriorate, but turned out to be a local problem here).

Yeah it was a /bit/ bigger that I thought ;-)  Nothing is in CVS yet as
I haven't had the time to clean it all up.  The stuff that's done is the
command line processing and the auto language detection.  Some of the
changes depend on others so I've got to go through and figure out what's
ready and what's not.  After that I'll get things ready to be reviewed
and committed.

Some of the stuff int the patch is _very_ experimental and in-progress
but there shouldn't get anything that would be detrimental to your
system or game files.  You can grab the patch at
http://icculus.org/~taylor/all_or_nothing.patch.gz if you're willing to
take the chance.  Some of the sound fixes (that I mentioned an e-mail
ago) aren't in there and there are still some debug messages in some
places but it's good enough for me to play through the game with.

That speed fix is working pretty good for me as well.  I haven't noticed
any adverse effects from it and the sound delay I noticed seems to come
and go so I don't think it's related to the fix.  I've got a couple of
people testing the patch with other system types (one with a V3) so
we'll see if it really helps and if so that will probably be the first
commit.

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>