Update...

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 21 17:25:33 EDT 2003

I've been busy with Life and other stuff lately so I haven't had much
time to work on the game.  Since there has been some interest I'm going
to post a full patch of everything I've been working on (except for FS1
and another thing that's not mine) but I haven't decided to post it to
the list yet.  Here is a basic status report:

movies:  Stalled out on getting the video to work 100%, I think someone
is going to have to help me out here.  I haven't figured out a way to
use the in-game audio (what's currently implemented) in a way that's
cross platform but that may not be important to everybody in the end.  I
think I've got the memory leaks in the movie code worked out but I can
no longer use valgrind with RH9 and new nvidia drivers so I don't know
that for sure.  There is a command line option to disable movies but in
my patch they are enabled by default and not longer a build option.

auto language detection:  Don't have a checksum for the Polish version
but I've not gotten one for the German version and that was the only
real hold up.  I'll probably get it tested by one more person and then
post it for review.

memory leaks:  Again I haven't tested lately but I've been using it
without any crashes for a while now.  There are probably a couple of
leaks still lurking about but I'll get them.

force feedback:  Is going to be the death of me.  Johann has separated
out the drivers so they can be compiled as modules without the kernel
being re-installed or patched.  I'm going to convert what I've got now
to the new interface so that effect updating will work without the
bullshit I'm having to go through now.  I'll probably make (S)RPMS of
the FF drivers or something for people that want them.

various:  Fullscreen is default.  OpenGL function to detect extensions.
D3D_fode_mode is 1 if GL_EXT_secondary_color is detected (don't know if
this fog mode was 100% complete code wise).  gr_(de)activate setup and
put to work in osapi-unix.cpp with a few bug fixes and stuff as well.
Command line options done.  Most compiler warning messages fixed.  Cfile
system bug fixed (check userdir, gamedir, vps rather than userdir,
vps).  Some minor sound stuff.  Probably some other stuff but the patch
is over 160K at the moment and I'm tired of looking through it.

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>