[freespace2] audio/video out of sync?

Andreas andreas at netbank.com.br
Tue Apr 8 23:42:24 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 11:16:09PM -0400, Taylor Richards wrote:
> They aren't supposed to be in sync.  There are just several types of
> videos (i.e. basic message, under attack, death) and based on the type

There are also those story-telling messages, like in the mission I'm
in now inside some sort of nebula on the other side of a recently
discovered portal.

> of voice message specified in the mission the right video is used.  I

Yes, the videos look all about the same.

> think the longest video is about 4 seconds long so all but the shortest
> voices will last longer than the video.

ok, agreed

> A couple of other people have brought this up as well but it's just how
> the game is designed.  The windows version should have exactly the same
> problem as I remember complaining about this when the game was first
> released.  Freespace 1 seems to be a bit better about not having such
> long or quick successions of messages but this is all in the design of
> the mission.  If you notice an obvious and reproducible difference
> between the windows and linux versions then it's something we need to
> look at.

I can't remember those windows days in detail anymore :)

> As far as the game slow down, I have noticed this as well and I think it
> may be because the the 4349 nvidia drivers.  I didn't have the problem

Could be, I haven't tried with the old drivers. This is the first of the
4xxx series I use, the previous one only gave me trouble and I went back
to the famous 3123 one. I should still have it somewhere around.

> with earlier driver versions.  I've been pretty busy the past few days
> but I plan to take a closer look at it later this week.  Hopefully I can
> figure out where the problem is and either fix it in the game or get a
> useful bug report to nvidia.

Thank you for your work on this project, it's really appreciated, freespace
is one of my favorite space combat simulations together with Elite :)

Thanks again.