FreeSpace 1

Taylor Richards trichard at surfsouth.com
Mon Jul 15 13:17:09 EDT 2002

Does anyone think that it's worthwhile to try and get FS1 to work with
the FS2 engine?  I think it's possible but not being a programmer I
don't have the ability to tell.  I played with it yesterday and got FS1
to run but it won't parse the FS1 campaign/mission files correctly so
you can't actually play.  I've figured out this much:

- It doesn't seem to load the .vp files correctly but I think it's just
that the locations changed and can be fixed though I haven't figured out
how to get the correct layout yet.

- The tables aren't parsed correctly but modifications to the FS2 tables
seems to work well.

- The mission files aren't parsed correctly but I'm guessing that the
source could be modified to deal with this or when/if Fred2 works just
open the FS1 missions and save them back out in FS2 format.  A search on
Google reveals that this (the Fred2 part) is or at least should be
possible.

- The menus need a bit of work but it doesn't seem that hard to/for me
as I've gotten a couple to mostly work already.

Not being able to program limits what I'm able to do so advice would be
welcome as to where I should go from here or whether I should drop it
and go to something else.  I ifdef'd the code so that FS2 and FS1 should
both work.  I anyone wants the patch from what I've done let me know.

P.S.  Has anyone tried to see if the Babylon5 mod for FS2 will work
under linux?  I downloaded it but haven't had a chance to try yet.