OpenAL problems

Jarkko Vatjus-Anttila jvatjus at mail.student.oulu.fi
Fri Jul 12 02:54:11 EDT 2002

Hi,

I'm a new one on this list so I apologize if this issue has been discussed
here before. It's not entirely Freespace2 specific, but relates to it
since it isn't fully playable for me.

I have a problem with OpenAL and I cannot find an answer from FAQs files.
The problem simply is that I get no sound output of any kind when using
OpenAL. Everything seems to be OK because I get no error messages
or failures of any kind, there simply is no sound output. I
downloaded the latest OpenAL CVS snapshot (2 days ago) and
fooled around a bit with it. I've also tried the test
applications coming with OpenAL. They all run and produce output on
terminal window, but there is no sound. My soundcard is SB128.

Is there any generic solution for this kind of problem. At least the FAQ
files don't help. Or have I missed something? A pointer to any source of
information over this issue is greatly appreciated.

I've planned to change my sound card to SB live! anyways. Would it be the
best solution for this?

Thanks for your time reading this..

- Jarkko